• Help with the EU Settlement Scheme

          If you’re from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you and your family will usually need to apply to stay in the UK after 30 June 2021. The EEA includes EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

          You can do this by applying:

          • to the EU Settlement Scheme for 'settled status' or 'pre-settled status'
          • for British citizenship

          It's free to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

          We can assist people with the application process and advise on any difficulties. 

          For advice on applying for British Citizenship visit  Citizens Advice public page Deciding on citizenship if you’re from the EU

          Information and Guidance

          The full guidance on the scheme is available on gov.uk   https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

          Guidance is also available in 26 EU languages on GOV.UK here including video clips on the application process.  


          There is advice on the Settlement scheme on the Citizens Advice public site



          How to Apply

          If you have a biometric passport or a biometric residence permit you can use an Apple (iphone 7 or above) or Android phone (or tablet) with NFC to start the application using the app called EU Exit: ID Document Check which can be downloaded from Google Play store or Apple Store.

          Check if your phone has NFC - link to Google Answers.

          If you have a biometric passport or a biometric residence permit but you don't have a suitable phone 

          If you don't have a biometric passport or residence permit you will need to send your documents to the Home Office by post. To begin your application and find the address details, start your application online at gov.uk 


          There is guidance on gov.uk on how to use the EU Exit app here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-eu-exit-id-document-check-app

          You can watch a video showing the application process here:

          Remember, after using the app you will need to complete your application online. 


          You may need to provide evidence to support your application and prove that you have lived in the UK for 5 years. 

          This page on gov.uk gives examples of what can be used as evidence in support of EU settlement. 



          If you have problems using the internet

          You can get help from the Home Office's assisted digital service if you aren't confident using the internet. The service is provided by We Are Digital.

          They can help you over the phone. You might be able to visit someone or they might be able to visit you at home - this will depend on where you live. Find out more about how to get help from We Are Digital.

          We Are Digital
          Tel: 0333 344 5675 (Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Saturday from 9.00am to 4.00pm)
          Text: 07537 416 944 - text the word VISA
          Textphone (using Next Generation Text): 18001 0333 344 5675

          Calls usually cost up to 40p a minute from mobiles and up to 10p a minute from landlines. It should be free if you have a contract that includes calls to landlines - check with your supplier if you’re not sure.

          If you don't have internet access

          You can use the internet free of charge at:



          EU Settlement Resolution Centre helpline

          Contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre helpline if you need help or information about your EU Settlement Scheme application.

          Calling from inside the UK

          EU Settlement Resolution Centre
          Telephone: 0300 123 7379
          Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays), 8am to 8pm
          Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm
          EU Settlement Scheme contact form
          Find out about call charges




        • How can we help?

          Search Advice online from Citizens Advice

        • Contact us

          We give most of our advice via the phone so if you need to contact us you can do so by calling our Advice Line on 03444 111 444

          or you can contact us online by  clicking here

          Our office is closed for face-to-face contact during the lockdown.